- 4x18" strips of red construction paper (1 per student)
- 4x6" pieces of red construction paper (1 per student)
- 4x1.5" strips of white construction paper (about 8 per student)
- 9x12" sheets of blue construction paper
- Stapler (teacher)
- Glue sticks and scissors (students)
Instructions for Prep
- Copy star page onto blue construction paper (see download for the master copy)
- The 4x18" strips of red paper will not be large enough to fit around the head of most students. Extend this piece by stapling a 4x6" strip of paper to each long strip
Create the Headband
- Distribute stapled red strips to students with 1.5x4" strips of white paper.
- Students will glue the white pieces vertically onto the red headband. Leave an inch or so of space between the white pieces to resemble stripes.
- Students will each cut out blue paper stars and glue them onto the headband.
- Once complete, the teacher will wrap the band around each students head, bring the two ends together to determine the right fit, and staple the headband closed
You can download a template and a set of printable instructions for a Patriotic Headband for FREE! Click the thumbnail to grab your FREEBIE! I would greatly appreciate it if you could leave feedback for your download as well :)
Other Monday plans for my classroom include discussing symbols of our country and learning a little about the Constitution. The headband serves as a fun springboard into all of it!
Happy Constitution Day!
PS-Hers'a an update after-the-fact. The patriotic headbands were a HIT with my class and a very sweet parent made these yummie patriotic treats for my students as well. The original idea was found at 5 Minutes for Mom.